Each of us mourns the death of a loved one differently. While some people attempt to cope with their grief by themselves and do not want or need outside assistance, others seek to find people to share their pain, anger, depression, and other emotions they feel following a loss. That’s where the Virtual High School Youth Grief Support Group by H.O.P.E. Personal Development, a Division of Nicklaus Counseling Center, S.C. can help.
Grief is a natural reaction to the death of a loved one. However, teens grieving a death often feel like no one understands what they are going through. And truthfully, no one’s grief is exactly the same. Just as each person is unique, so is each person’s grief. Studies have shown those that are grieving often appreciate being able to share with others who are also grieving.
H.O.P.E. Personal Development, a Division of Nicklaus Counseling Center, S.C. provides this group, facilitated by mental health professionals, for teens who have experienced a loss. Through education and peer group support, your healing can begin in a safe, non-judgmental space where you can engage in conversations and activities which honors your deceased loved one. By working through the grief process, teens can express thoughts and feelings with others who are also experiencing grief.
In our support groups:
- There is no right or wrong way to be.
- You won’t be told it’s time to move on.
- Nor will you be told that an emotion you have is wrong or inappropriate.
Through talking and listening, you are free to find hope and comfort in your own personal way.
Group format will be a one hour session:
- Overview of Group Rules and Responsibilities as a participant
- Introduction of leaders and participants that want to share or listen
- Popcorn Method
- Present educational information on the topic of that week
- Working on actionable tools provided for the topic
- Open Discussion
This is an open ended group that will cover topics such as:
- An open ended group means that you can join in or choose to skip any session, as there is no required attendance. Come when you need support to share or just to listen.
- The 5 Stages of Grief
- Common Reactions
- Need to Release Intense Emotions
- Self Care
- Need for Regular Sleep Patterns
- Ways to Return to Sleep after Waking
- Rebuilding your Life
- New Roles
- Holidays as Triggers
- Other Common Triggers
- Initial Focus from Friends and Family
- Tendency for Isolation – Issues Over Time as People Go Back to their Lives
- Strategies to Relieve Stress and Anger
- Strategies to “Escape” the Emotions
- Time Frame for Emotions of Grief
- Long Term Reactions to Expect
Once you have registered, you will receive an email the day of the group with the topic of the week and the link for logging into the group.
As a reminder there is a minimum requirement of 3 participants to run the group. This limit is in place to ensure the availability of peer interactions to aid in the grief process. If the group is cancelled for any reason, your money will be held for the next available session. You can email us if you do not wish to wait and we will refund your payment through check the next business day.
There are no reviews yet.